Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Never Say Never....
As my venerable 1988 9000T was amassing needed repairs that I could not justify in terms of their expense, I started looking for a replacement. Indeed, I thought the replacement was already in my driveway. My wife has for years adored her 1993 9000 Aero and would not let me have it no matter what I proposed as a replacement. That all changed when her car was in for repair and she had a chance to drive a 9-5 Wagon for several days. It was even an automatic, something she has never really driven, even growing up. In fact, her parents have three cars, and two of them have a third pedal. But she grew fond of the shiftless experience, found that while not as fast or sexy or edgy as her Aero, that the 9-5 was vastly more comfortable and pleasurable to drive. So I set about finding her an appropriate car, with visions of the Aero finally becoming my ride. And then.....
A lovely 1993 900T was traded in. I had never considered that I might own one of these again. The newest ones are 12 years old, most need a lot of work to make them road-worthy, and did I really want to own one of these again. With their leaking heater valves, clutch pedal linkages that wear out, balky shifters, steering column joints that seize, rattles and squeaks galore....who needs all that? Right? But then I drove it. I listened to it (no car comes close to the lovely baritone gurgle that the Classic 900T emits from its tailpipe). I savored the upright driving position, the shifter that grazes your right thigh, the mechanical feel and sound throughout the car that makes it seem oh-so 20th century, and I was hooked.
We did a little fixing up, got the turbo boosting properly, fixed the steering and got a cover for the cracking dash top. Added some side outlet vent covers (the last ones Saab had!), wheels from a 1995 Super CS, replaced some badges and gave the car a proper detailing. Voila! I am now the proud owner of a truly fine old Saab. It's not as fast or comfortable as my 9000, but it is a hoot to drive, in a funky-Saab sort of way.
So for the moment my wife keeps her Aero. I have to wait to get my hands on that car. Already, though, my older sons (who share a 91 900S) have started to lobby. "...and if you get mom the 9-5 and you drive the Aero and then we can have the 900T. Right Dad?" I don't think so. But, never say never.....

No comments: